Gneis is a district of the city of Salzburg, to be found south of the Altstadt or Old Town. It is generally considered to be upper-middle-class to upper-class, fairly centrally located but not very interesting for international visitors. Gneis comprises of residential areas and has a population of approximately 5,000 people. The name is derived from the Latin word "canales", probably referring to the drainage canals that were built in this area to make the local swamps arable. For centuries, today′s Gneis was an agricultural village.
Today, Gneis is locally associated with the Kommunalfriedhof, the biggest cemetery of Salzburg. It was built in 1879 on the site of the former execution site of Salzburg. Gallows had been removed by Prince Archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau in the early 17th century (from the end of the Linzergasse). After this decision, people were beheaded near today′s cemetery inn, the last execution here took place in 1810. The Kommunalfriedhof has a distinct Imperial touch, clearly visible if compared to other cemeteries from that era (such as the Zentralfriedhof Graz or Vienna).
Gneis experienced its biggest development period after World War II, when many refugees from Eastern Europe moved here. This created a need for the construction of new churches, Gneis got the Kirche St. Johannes Capistran in 1967. The architect in charge was Erich Gerlich. New settlements were developed between the ancient farm houses. There are several old farmhouses left in Gneis, including the Oberdossengut, Sakenbauerngut, Kleinpechbrockergut and Offingerbauerngut. Note also the villas of the Thumeggerbezirk, one of Salzburg′s most exclusive neighbourhoods. It developed mainly in the late 19th century.
Gneis on the German Wikipedia
City of Salzburg, Official Website