Gnigl is a district in the city of Salzburg. It comprises mainly of family homes that were built after World War II, mainly in the 1950ies and 1960ies. This also means that many people in Gnigl are now rather old, since a generational change has not fully happened yet. Gnigl has a population of approximately 6,000 people.
Rather recently, Gnigl was connected to the local railway network (S-Bahn); this might increase the popularity of this middle-class community with a suburban aftertaste. Gnigl is divided into three sections, Obergnigl (the historic core of the community), Niedergnigl and Gnigl Nord. The community was incorporated into Salzburg in 1935, but especially around the Gnigl Parish Church, much of its village flair has been preserved until today.
Other noteworthy sightseeing attractions are Schloss Neuhaus, Schloss Minnesheim (a small chateaux dating back to the reign of Prince Archbishop Paris Lodron, which was altered in the 19th century and now in desperate need of repair); the cemetery of the church; the school building next to the church; and the mills along the Alterbach creek. Note also the Minnesheimpark, a left-over of the once extensive gardens of Schloss Minnesheim.
The former village centre and the road along the Alterbach with its many, partly very old mills might make a nice walk for a boring afternoon. Note the Freyhammermühle, the Gmahlmühle, Glockmühle, Sturmmühle, Kirchtagsmühle, Staudenböckmühle, Haselbachermühle and Schnoderbacher Mühle. Many of them date back to the Middle Ages, but no mill is still in use.
A noteworthy building in Niedergnigl, not far from the main road through Gnigl, you find the former St. Anna Spital, a hospital that was built under the rule of Prince Archbishop Johann Ernst von Thun (who also founded the Landeskrankenhaus) in 1697. The building was extended in the 19th century and is still used as a care facility and day-centre for disabled people.
Gnigl on the German Wikipedia
City of Salzburg, Official Website