Langenhof Palace (Palais Kuenburg)
The Langenhof is a palace building in the Sigmund-Haffner-Gasse 16 of Salzburg. It is called Langenhof because it was built on the site of a palace that belonged to Prince Archbishop Matthäus Lang von Wellenburg in the early 16th century. The current building, however, was built for the counts of Kuenburg, of whom several were Prince Archbishops. The Langenhof was built in 1670 for Prince Archbishop Maximilian Gandolph Graf von Kuenburg - his intention was to build a palace that his closer family members could use.
For this construction, three older buildings were linked, of which one was the mentioned palace of Matthäus Lang; the others belonged to the landlords of Kuchl and the diocese, which used one house for the choir boys of the cathedral. Later, they were moved to the Kapellhaus, today′s Sigmund-Haffner-Gasse 20.
Palais Langenhof since the 18th century
Since approximately 1713, the building was known as "Gräflich Kuenburgisches Palatium" or Palais Kuenburg. It was one of the most significant palatial buildings in the city centre of Salzburg. If the front gates of the Langenhof are open, you can see a Romanesque lion, which probably originates from the old Romanesque cathedral that Prince Archbishop Wolf Dietrich had demolished. There is an inscription in the lion that dates it to the 12th century.
The lion was slightly altered in 1800, when the architect J. G. Laschensky supervised significant alterations of the original building, which included a re-development of the fašade. Note also the roof, a so-called Grabendach; this type of roof was once common in Salzburg and this example is very well-preserved. The building has a central courtyard with white marble arcades. It is one of the most beautiful courtyards of this kind in Salzburg. Today, the Langenhof is used by the University of Salzburg and various private companies.
Hidden Treasures of Salzburg
Salzburg State on the Langenhof
Internationale Salzburg Association on the Palais Kuenburg