Langwied is a district in Salzburg. It can be found in the north-east of the city and borders to the municipality of Hallwang in the north and to the district Gnigl in the south. Langwied has a population of a mere 2.000 people, most of them live along the main traffic routes and in the neighbourhood of Sam. The area was developed in mainly two periods: in the years of the Austro-Fascism between 1934 and 1938; and then again in the post-war decades until into the 1980ies.
The name Langwied is derived from a mid-high German term for willow, once a common sight at what used to be a swamp. An unusual feature of Langwied is the Pfarrkirche St. Severin, which was built after 2003; it was consecrated by Archbishop Alois Kothgasser in 2006. The modern building incorporated a factory which had been unused for many years. This is only one of several indications that Langwied developed very recently.
Generally speaking, it is a middle-class neighbourhood with the atmosphere of a suburb and mixed architecture. In the northern part of Langwied you will get to the Samer Mösl, a little nature reserve that protects the remaining bit of swamp in the area. Langwied is well-connected to the city centre with public transport; traffic along the main passage (Linzer Bundesstraße) is a bit of a problem, though. Thousands of commuters don′t improve the standard of living in this area of Langwied.
Langwied on the German Wikipedia
City of Salzburg, Official Website