Internationale Stiftung Mozarteum
The Mozarteum was the main building of the "Internationale Stiftung Mozarteum", the music and art foundation from which the art university of Salzburg emerged. It is situated at the Schwarzstraße in the Neustadt area of Salzburg. The Mozarteum was derived from an association that was formed in 1856. The original music school was situated first at the Kapellhaus in the Altstadt (Sigmund-Haffner-Gasse), later in the Old University Campus. The association pursued the objective to construct a proper university building for the Mozarteum in Salzburg.
After 1900, the fundraising campaigns for this project gained momentum. In 1907, the association purchased the Villa Lasser in the Schwarzstraße. In 1909, a competition for a tender was held: The Villa Lasser was meant to become a facility for a concert hall, the Mozart archives, administration and the music school itself. 64 architects participated in the tender, Richard Berndl won the order. The building was erected in unspectacular Historicist style between 1910 and 1914.
In 1922, the music school (later to develop into an art university) and the Mozarteum Foundation split. The Mozarteum Art University can be found in the are of the Primogeniturpalast on the other side of the Mirabellgarten; the Mozarteum Foundation is still in the 1914 building in the Schwarzstraße. The building houses three well-known concert and art venues, which are used by the Mozarteum Orchestra, the Salzburg Festival and other local art institutions: The Großer Saal, the Wiener Saal and the Mozarteum Foyer. Note the Salzburger Marionette Theatre right next to it.
Internationale Stifung Mozarteum (International Mozart Foundation)